Earning our council’s Year Round Camping Award for the second year in a row comes with both good news and bad. The good news is that we will award this patch to 5 troop members who have met the requirements. The bad news is that our council recently discontinued this award in support of BSA’s new National Outdoor Challenge and was instructed to destroy all the patches. DESTROY all the patches?? We were told at Roundtable these would be available until they sold out! Good thing I had enough left-over from last year to award this again at our Court of Honor in January.
The qualifications for this award are 10 camping outings undertaken with the Scouts, Varsities or Venturers from your unit during 2010/2011, including at least one district or council sponsored event. Each campout must have 2-deep leadership.
Here are the outings we did in 2011 to earn this award:
1) Jan – Klondike 2011 at Rockport Reservior (Council-sponsored event)
2) Feb – Ice fishing/winter camping on Strawberry Reservoir
3) Apr – Meadow Hot Springs and Lava Tubes at Tabernacle Hill
4) May – Traditional backpack outing to Rudy’s Flat
5) Jun – Backyard camping for the Manti Pageant
6) Jul – Summer Scout Camp at Bear Lake Aquatics Base
7) Aug – Antelope Island and floating the Great Salt Lake
8) Sept – Adirondack rental at Camp Steiner
9) Oct – Traditional Goblin Valley trip to explore Crack Canyon
10) Dec – Winter camping at Johnson Mountain
NOTE: We don’t camp in March and November due to a zone Merit Badge Pow-wow that takes place over three Saturdays in those two months.