It’s that time of year again to share some Christmas gift ideas for your scout. If he’s already equipped with a backpack, camp stove, sleeping bag and foam sleeping pad, what about a portable water filter and purification system for camping and hiking??
My personal gear includes the Katadyn Hiker. It is one of the least expensive, most convenient filters in its class…very functional and gets the job done. A lot of alpine water has been pumped through my Hiker in the past 10+ years without a single complaint.
Here are some product features and benefits of this model:
- AntiClog pleated cartridge made with 0.3 micron glassfiber
- Removes bacteria, protozoa, cysts, algae, spores and sediments
- Active carbon core reduces unpleasant tastes and odors
- Approximately 48 strokes per minute provides 1 liter of water
- Filter purifies up to 200 gallons (750 liters) depending on water quality
- Filter cartridge requires no maintenance or cleaning
- Built-in pre-filter on in-hose port protects filter cartridge life from turbid water
- Easy Fill Bottle Adaptor attaches directly to most popular drinking bottles
- Compatible with hydration systems
- Compact design and easy operation
- Ideal for backpacking, hiking or trekking
Depending on your needs, you may also consider the Katadyn Hiker PRO or the Katadyn Vario. Check prices at Emergency Essentials here in Utah and remember to ask about their Scout discount program.